“Jesus said unto her, l am the resurrection, and the life.” Jn 11:25
“I died, but look — I am alive forever and ever!” Rev 1 – 18 NL
The fact that Jesus arose from the dead isn’t what makes Him unique. The Bible records seven other resurrections. Jesus was number eight (the biblical number for new beginnings). In two amazing ways His resurrection was unlike any other; let’s look at them:
(1) His was the only resurrection foretold in advance. David prophesied of Jesus: “For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your holy one to rot in the grave” (Ps 16:10 NLT). And Isaiah foretold life for Him beyond His crucifixion. “When you make His soul an offering for sin… He shall prolong His days” (Isa 53:10 NKJV). Jesus actually forecast His resurrection from death. “Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem… be killed and on the third day be raised to life” (Mt 16:21 NIV).
(2) Only Jesus raised Himself from the dead! His enemies deemed Him a helpless victim of their determined efforts to eradicate Him and His mission. But they were wrong on all counts! He said, “No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again” (Jn 10:18 NLT). All of Rome’s might and the hatred of his Jewish persecutors couldn’t eliminate Jesus or nullify His cause. He needed no help. In His death and in His resurrection, He was always at the helm. “Destroy this temple [my body], and in three days I will raise it up” (Jn 2:19 NLT). And He did! He’s alive forevermore!
Why is Christ’s resurrection unique?
(1) He’s the only one who didn’t die again. In Scripture all others who rose from the dead, died again. Jesus was the glorious exception. Consequently, “He was made a priest… through the power of a life which has no end” (Heb 7:16 GNT). His testimony stands: “I was dead… l am alive for ever” (Rev 1 :18 N IV).
(2) He alone ascended into Heaven to represent us before God. Other priests died and ceased to serve. But Jesus was “declared… a priest forever” (Heb 7:17 NIV). And He’s not sitting around awaiting the second coming; He’s representing us before God. “He entered heaven itself… to appear for us in God’s presence” (Heb 9:24 NIV). That means no accusation against us can stand. “Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died… is at the right hand of God… interceding for us” (Ro 8:34 NIV).
(3) He has the power to resurrect you when you die. Jesus comforted His disciples with this awesome promise: “Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live” (Jn 14:19 NIV). And that promise applies to you too! “For the Lord himself will come down from heaven… the dead in Christ will rise first… we who are still alive… will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so, we will be with the Lord forever” (I Th 4:16 – 17
Source: The Word for You Today – SuperChannel, Orlando, FL, USA, published on November 28, 2017, pages 30 – 31.